The Story So Far (the short version)

Kathleen, a retired nurse, and Joe Boyle, a builder by trade,
purchased the derelict site here in Brooklodge, Ballyglunin in 2006. They had initially planned to convert the site to a holiday village with numerous new buildings and facilities. A halt was put to this in 2008 because of the recession, but this did not stop the Boyles from ploughing forward with the business you see today!

Although work is at a slower pace than planned and building plans
have been revised extensively, nevertheless progress is ongoing. We often tell visitors that once a building is painted white, we consider it a finished job. We welcomed our first guests in March 2012, and business has evolved as we learnt more about the hospitality industry. It has been a steep learning curve but, based on the positive feedback we are receiving, we now feel we are on the right track!

The idea of providing yurt accommodation, and by extension
choosing to go down the glamorous camping route, can be attributed to Monty Python’s Michael Palin. On Palin’s adventures in his travel
documentary, he helped the local nomads to set up yurts as they moved place to place. This struck a cord with Joe, and he was determined to import these authentic yurts to Ireland. We soon discovered that Ireland is a good deal more damp than Mongolia, so the yurts you see today with timber surround are our solution to the difference in climates.

So far, we have renovated the 19th c. Chapel/Schoolhouse, the 18th c.
Barn, the bottom half of the 15th c. Tower and the 19th c. Coach House. Much done but much more to do!

Video

History

Abbeyknockmoy - Co. Galway

The Cistercian Abbey of Knockmoy (in the village of Abbeyknockmoy) was founded by the King of Connacht (Cathal Crovdearg O Connor, who was buried there in 1244) in the years 1189-1190. Knockmoy is rare in that it has a fresco still (barely) visible on the wall of the chancel. The monastery was plundered in 1200 (by William De Burgo) and in 1228, and the Abbot was censured in 1240 for having his hair washed by a woman. In 1483, the abbot was accused of setting fire to the abbey.

Ballyglunin

Ballyglunin, also known as Ballyglooneen, was opened in Nov. 1860 as a station for passenger traffic with a single 225 ft. platform on the east side of the track. It owes its existence undoubtedly to its proximity to Ballyglunin Park, residence of the Blakes, as well as Skerritt's Brooklodge House and Bodkin's Armagh House. For customers such as these a first class service was provided.

Knockma Hill - Castlehacket

Two miles from Belclare, Knockma(from the Irish "cnoc mag", the hill of the plain) is the highest hill (552 feet) in the plains of North Galway and South Mayo (the ancient Maigh sheola).It is the legendary burial place of Queen Maeve, and in folklore Knockma was the seat of Finnvara, king of Connacht fairies. The many ancient remains, including cairns, underground passages and forts, are evidence of a major place of settlement stretching back to pre-Christian times.